Thursday, February 7, 2013

Mashed Po-Tater Tots

It'll be Chinese New Years in a few days and my house has been hustling and bustling with friends and family visiting and bringing fruits and other delectable symbolic foods. My parents have been running around doing the same with theirs friends as well. At home, we've been frying a variety of foods that will be given away and also eaten with relatives.

I've never been keen on eating, and much less making, such foods so I never took an interest in them. But since I saw the wok filled with bubbling oil from frying food throughout the day, I took the opportunity to make something of my own. I have been having a craving for tater tots lately. Between seeing the commercials for the Cheesy Tots from Burger King and my friends constantly mentioning them, it's not surprising that I'd been daydreaming about the bite sized, golden, and flaky potato snacks. The only problem for me was I didn't have any potatoes on hand. What I did have though was a package of instant mashed potato mix (I know, I know that stuff is disgusting and unhealthy) which I figured should work.

The texture wasn't exactly the same as the mashed potato center was more mushy than the chunks of fried potato would have been. Still it was pretty good and the flavor was spot on.


1 pouch of instant mashed potato mix (and whatever ingredients required according to package instructions)
2 eggs, beaten and place in separate bowls
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp fresh black pepper
Panko bread crumbs

1. Prepare the mashed potatoes according to the instructions on the package. Allow to cool. Putting it in the fridge overnight would be even better so it dries out and is easier to work with.
2. Mix 1 beaten egg into the mashed potatoes.
3. Combine the Panko, salt, and pepper and mix well.
4. Using a spoon, get a small amount of mashed potato and form the desired shape with you hand.
5. Roll the shaped mashed potato in the flour and then into the beaten egg.
6. Roll the mashed potato into the Panko mixture. Set them on a sheet of wax paper while you make the rest.
7. Fry them in oil at 375 degrees F until the Panko turns a golden brown.
8. Drain on paper towels. Enjoy warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment